Monday, October 24, 2011

Satan’s Weapons of Mass Destruction: Part 2 - Suffering!


Sermon Notes – October 23, 2011
Church-Wide Bible Study 2011
Book: The Strategy of Satan
By Warren W. Wiersbe
Satan’s Weapons of Mass
 Destruction: Part 2 - Suffering!

First Read Job 2:1-10

Sermon Audio Available at agfchurch.org
                         
1.    First remember that suffering has different origins:

a)     Natural suffering because we are humans in a fallen world!  

·        Romans 8:18-23 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19 The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. 22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

b)     Suffering as the result of God’s Discipline for our disobedience! 

·        Hebrews 12:5-6 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, 6 because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

·        Psalm 32:3-5 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. 4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Selah 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah


c)      Suffering as the result of being Obedient to God!   

·        Matthew 14:22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd.

  • 1 Peter 2:20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.

d)     Suffering as the result of Satanic Attack to God!   

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO JOB – IT ALSO HAPPEN TO PAUL

·        2 Corinthians 12:7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

2.    Satan attacks our bodies because they are God’s…:

a)     Temple, God’s grace on display! Romans 8:18-23)

·        Philippians 1:20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

·        Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

b)     Tool God’s grace at work!  

&        Romans 6:12-13 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness.

c)      Treasury the ”storehouse” of God’s grace

&        2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
d)     Testing ground where God’s grace is perfected!

·        2 Corinthians 7:1 Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

&        Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-- this is your spiritual act of worship.

3.    Satan hope is to make you Impatient with God!     

·        James 5:11 As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

·        James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

4.    Our only defense is God’s GRACE!   

·        2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Submit yourself to the will of God like Job!

·        Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.
           
Be thankful, remain faithful – It’s the only way to live the Christian life under the pain of suffering, for the glory of God!

·        Romans 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.


Sermon Follow-Up Study & Discussion

Read and meditate over Psalm 32:1-10.  

1.      Write down your thoughts and response to verses 1 & 2.

2.      What do you think David is driving at in this context when he says “in whose heart there is no deceit” at the end of verse 2.

3.      According to verse 3 & 4 what happens when we are not open and honest with the Lord? Why?

4.      According to verse 5 on what basis did the Lord forgive?  Can you find other verses in the New Testament that support this same truth? 

5.      Look at verses 6 & 7. What happens when we run from God and don’t seek Him?  What happens when we do?

6.      Compare verses 9 & 10 to James 3:13-18. How does one obtain wisdom form the Lord?  On what basis does He grant it

1 comment:

  1. Greetings brother pastor.
    1. David expresses the incredible joy of forgiveness. We too, can be familiar with this joy. We all can rejoice in the knowledge that God responds to our sincere confession and repentance with total forgiveness. Verses 1 & 2 make the point, God wants to forgive sinners. The following confirms this fact: Isa. 44:22-I have blotted out, and like a thick cloud, your transgressions, and like a cloud, your sins. Return to Me, for I have redeemed you. Aspects of God's forgiveness include: forgiveness of transgressions; covers sin; does not count our sins against us. We can reestablish our fellowship with God by recognizing our sinful ways, and the tendency to do wrong by knowing that sin is rebellion against God; admitting our sins to God; trusting in God's willingness to forgive us; and accepting His forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete